Friday, November 12, 2010

Others

I chose photo one of fans at the University of Florida versus Arkansas game because it emphasizes the intensity of the game as everyone watches closely. Being that I am a Gator fan and attend the University of Florida also had some influence as to why I chose this particular picture. A photo like this says a lot about the University of Florida’s school spirit and the role football plays at the University and in its fans lives. If the fans in the picture were to take a picture of me at that game they probably would have captured me rooting the Gators on with both my arms in the air. The caption would most likely say that I am a fanatic rooting on my home team. From that photo others would probably make the assumptions that I am a big gator fan with lots of team spirit.

an image
Photo 1: Florida vs. Arkansas Fall of 2009.

When I take photos when I am traveling I want my photos to convey a message like the one above and be interpreted in a number of ways which I think a lot of images are capable of. Capturing others just at the right moment says a lot about who they are individually, as a people, and culturally. What we want others to know about the “others” helps us determine how we take pictures. For example, the image of high school students at Montebello High in photo two shows Mexican students in a positive light. This picture was taken at a school event where the photographer captured the students smiling and showing a sense of spirit and unity. Now if the photographer were to capture the Mexican students doing something like fighting at the school event, the picture would tell a whole different story. This would show Mexican students in a negative light and one interpreting the photo could say that the Mexican students are troublesome. So photos can work in both ways, either it can tell u what we need to know or not tell us enough.


Photo 2: Mexican students at Montebello High Scool.

No comments:

Post a Comment